A daily health check
By watching your guinea pigs’ behaviour each day, you’ll quickly learn what’s normal for them. It’ll be easier for you to spot any signs that they’re under the weather.
Visit your vet straight away if you see any of these signs:
- Big weight loss or weight gain over a short time
- Not eating
- Drinking much more or less than normal
- Lack of energy/sleeping more than usual
- Unusual swellings or lumps and bumps
- Skin conditions
- Unusual bleeding
- Signs of pain, like not wanting to be touched
- Runny eyes or nose
- Overgrown teeth
- A change in their usual behaviour, as this could be because they’re feeling poorly.
Look at the picture above, this gives you a further guide into what to look for. Always try to tailor you Guinea Pig feed, some will require a controlled or sensitive diet, some will be fine on a standard good quality food, follow the guide and seek the vets advice if the above conditions start to materialise